Sunday 31 October 2010

Sunday, 31 October

It is Sunday. It is raining. It is Halloween, I think. To be sure, I am unclear whether I was supposed to celebrate yesterday or today as we are in the UK and Halloween here is a weird holiday. It is still considered quite scary and even the children's costumes are bloody and horror-esque. Not really appropriate for my little ones. Plus, the teenagers around here use it as an excuse to terrorise. Basically, the Halloween memories I have from my childhood are not quite what happens on this side of the pond. Which is why I have no idea if it is today or yesterday. From my Facebook updates, it looks like most of the states celebrated yesterday.

It makes me laugh that if you really have a great day with the kids, then at the end of the day, one of them at least loses all control of their little personality and falls apart. Usually in public. Yesterday it was Catherine in Hyde Park. We had so much fun and ice cream and feeding swans not to mention the playground in the rain, which she thought was hysterical.

By the time we were heading home, she just could not hold it together anymore and started crying...and crying...and crying. Just the sure exhaustion of the day had taken over and she melted into a pile of damp teary little girl. I love moments like these for a few reasons:

1) I know I have shown her a great time

2) I know she is going to sleep like a champ

but most of all

3) I am completely jealous, because how often do I feel like doing that myself after a crap day at work or a fall out with my parents? Just in the grocery store or on the bus just want to start whining and crying out loud with no worry. Such a bonus of youth.

We are supposed to head to brunch with some friends at 11. I am meant to take brownies which are still in the box.

Stuart has already had a few good whacks at his sister this morning, which probably didn't hurt, but you'd have thought he had stabbed her from all the tears.

My husband is playing video games.

It is daylight savings.

I need a drink.

1 comment:

  1. oooh I love the scary costumes! All this pokemon and crap is so stupid. REmember those awful plastic masks we had when we were kids? YOu might have been dressed as a princess, but they were still totally scary. Low-tech is the best.

    ReplyDelete